You are here
HATEMETER: Hate speech tool for tackling Anti-Muslim hatred online
Project Hatemeter aims at systematising, augmenting and sharing knowledge on Anti-Muslim hatred online, and at increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of NGO/CSOs in preventing and tackling Islamophobia at EU level, by developing and testing an ICT tool (i.e., HATEMETER platform) that automatically monitors and analyses Internet and social media data on the phenomenon, and produces computer-assisted responses and hints to support counter-narratives and awareness raising campaigns.
Hatemeter will adopt a multidimensional approach to prevent and tackle Anti-Muslim hatred online at EU level, through a strategic use of Internet and social media. This approach to the Anti-Muslim hatred management will bring current methods to combat Islamophobia online to a next stage, creating the conditions to:
- raise a better understanding on Anti-Muslim hatred online by exploiting the Internet and social media potential;
- deliver the Hatemeter platform to support NGO/CSOs in preventing and tackling Anti-Muslim hatred online;
- strengthening cooperation among key actors and ensuring the widest circulation and a long term impact of project results on future research streams and operational strategies.
Backed on a strong interdisciplinary effort (criminology, social sciences, computer sciences, statistics, and law), firstly Hatemeter will scope the online problem and assess background experiences, needs and aspirations of NGO/CSOs and other target stakeholder groups, in order to draft guidelines on the socio-technical requirements of the ICT tool.
In order to strengthen cooperation between key actors and to ensure the widest circulation and a long term impact of project results on future research streams and operational strategies, the project will favour capacity building, training, sustainability and transferability of the Hatemeter platform among other target stakeholder groups (e.g., LEAs, journalists/media, civil servants) across the EU and for other forms of hate speech, through the building of the “EU laboratory on Internet and social media for countering online Anti-Muslim hate speech”, namely the Hatemeter Lab.
- eCrime unit, University of Trento, Faculty of Law
- Fondazione Bruno Kessler
- Universite Toulose 1 Capitole
- Teesside University
- Amnesty International Sezione Italiana Onlus
- Association de defense des droits de l'homme - Collectif contre l'Islamophobie en France
- Stop Hate UK